photo line.png

29 May, 2014

Acne Journey #5 - All about skincare for Acne-prone skin



Just a #selfie to start the post :D Haven't been posting much but this post is specially dedicated to those who've asked what skincare I'm using.

As I've mentioned in my previous Acne Journey #4 post, I stopped using products from DRx and I did some adjusting to my regime.
Few weeks ago, I came across the skincare line of Paula Begoun (Paula's Choice) and immediately sold by the huge positive review for it. The star product for PC got to be the Exfoliating Liquid (More about that HERE)

Difference between AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) and BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid)

  • AHA is water soluble while BHA is lipid oil soluble. Hence, BHA is more suitable for oily skin as it is able to penetrate in to the pores and exfoliate the skin cells inside it.
  • BHA is more suitable for those who are suffering from blackheads and acne.
  • AHA is best for sun damaged and dry skin.
The regime: 

Step 1: Kiehl's Blue Herbal Gel Cleanser - I'm using the second bottle now and I quite like it. It is oil free and contains salicylic acids. Though Salicylic Acid cleanser has never been much of a help to keep acne at bay 'cos they're water soluble cleanser which they get drained down the sink before it has any effect on your skin.


Step 2: Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant - Love this! But... I tend to get flaky then I used it back to back without putting enough moisturizer.
                        

Step 3: Serums - I've a few serum on my list. My top few are Lancome Genifique, Lancome Visionnaire, Hada Labo, Ettusais Medicated Acne Skin Version Up, Clarify Facial Oil
I don't use all of them at once, in fact sometimes I dont even use serum. (LAZY!)

Step 4: Paula's  Choice Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel - I was actually using Clinique Moisturizing Gel before switching to this, somehow I still prefer Clinique (more hydrating IMO).
   
Step 5: Ettusais acne whitening uv (oil block) - Bought my second bottle when I was in Japan 'cos it was dirt cheap.
It wasn't the best sunblock out there cos it only has SPF24.
I don't recommend it to anyone and I'm trying to finish it (and I always forgot to apply sunblock!! It's a must to apply now since I'm using BHA ): )  so that I can start using my favourite Kose sunblock.


That's about it I guess, anyway, what works for me might not for you as everyone's skin is different. I still do try out other products that can help with my skin condition but right now, that's what I'm using.

Feel free to drop me a comment on what you guys have been using that are good for acne prone skin!

xx

No comments :