photo line.png

15 November, 2013

KOREA (SEOUL) DAY 4 : Namsangol Hanok Village & Namdademun Market


Initial plan for Day 4 would be visiting Namsangol Hanok Village, Daehangno (University Street) and Marronnier Park. No idea why all these places were added into the itinerary but heck, turned out we ditch those ideas and strolled down the streets of Myeongdong. Oh! We still did continue our walk at Namsangol Hanok Village, where we witnessed the (real) traditional wedding there. Heehee ♥. However, our favorite will always be the church wedding in Myeongdong 'cos we managed to sneak in ♥♥♥

Our day started with KFC. We always have the habit of trying international fast food outside SG. But, worst meal EVER! Chickens were dry and cold, Cheese fries doesn't have mayo and spring onions ):
Just terrible. A total disaster ):







Getting to Namsangol Hanok Village

  • Alight at Chungmuro Station (Seoul Subway Line 3 or 4, Exit 4)
  • Walk along Hanongmaeul-gil for approx. 5 minutes.


Note:

  • Close every Tuesday
  • Go around noon to watch Korean Traditional Weddings. ( You have to try your luck on this 'cos its not everyday you get to see weddings there)






That's Namsan Tower over there.












To be honest, there's nothing much to see except Traditional Weddings, the "houses" (Not sure what you called them) or "buildings" are actually quite interesting as area is standing between the tall modern buildings. This village has five restored traditional Korean houses and a pavilion, a pond and a time capsule, which make you usually see when watching traditional Korean dramas eg: 大長今, as if I was being transported back in time.




Lucky us, managed to witness the wedding. Gotta pity the bride, the weather was freaking hot that day and she had to wear layers of ..... clothes?? Not to mention those layers are heavy x10000.














Next up was the International Food Feast (I think)






Lol at my act-yi-ge korean name and writing. So kiddish -____-

















We left the village after a few hours and I came across a bookstore.
*HAPPY*
Just like how excited when I found Barnes and Noble and Kyobo Bookstore there.












Myeongdong Catholic Cathedral was supposed to be in Day 1 itinerary and was pushed back to Day 4.
I was drawn towards the word Cathedral and I was overwhelmed by the magnificent Gothic design. I am sure it has at least a 100 years worth of history.

Getting to Myeongdong Cathedral

  • Alight at Myeongdong Subway Station (Seoul Subway Line 4, Exit 8)
  • Walk along Toegyero-gil St. for about  300m and turn at the intersection.
  • Continue walking along Myeongdong-gil for 100m to the Catholic Center.


Note:

  • There is a Sunday mass at 9am.















Namdademun Market is very near that area (walking distance). There are endless supply of skincare, cosmetic etc. International brands like H&M, ZARA, F21 are along that street too.















Our favourite brunch would be Congee and we had it for consecutive 3 days. Their Kimchi was SOOOOO GOOD that we bought 1kg back. YUMZ. Open by a young couple, the wife is able to communicate fluently in Korean and Japanese, she understands a bit of Mandarin too.
MUST TRY!

Getting to Congee House

  • Alight at Myongdong station (Seoul Subway Line 4, Exit number 8 or 9)
  • Right in front of Royal hotel 
Note:
As the location is rather discrete, keep a look out for the signage (along with many others together) at the sides. We got lost quite a number of times trying to locate the restaurant. 


Address:
4th floor, 12-19, Chungmuro 2-ga, Jong-gu, Seoul
Contact:
02-757-8460

Email:
cchunni@naver.com














Next stop would be Lotte Departmental Store (LDS), their main branch located at Myeongdong. So it is wise to (at least) visit, since mom was planning to buy something for my dad's birthday.
As usual, Lotte Departmental Store was not in our itinerary.





I was kind of annoyed with the SA from LDS, they were all so freaking rude!
Mom and I were talking in chinese and immediately his expression changed and his attitude, omg, he thought that we were from PRC.
I was so angry I swear (it was a really rude insult to us, me at least.), after which I kind of roll my eyes and spoke in English (mostly cursing and swearing) to my sister and walk off the store. (couldn't be bother with him). Some Koreans can be really dumb wtf. ( Just like how some Americans assume that Asians are from China. WTF??)











Up till now, I still can't believe I resist buying the dirt cheap makeup from Korea. I mean, come on, as a beauty junkie I regretted Lol, I think Kenny bought more makeup (for me) than I did for myself.

Nail polished from Faceshop cost only SGD1 !!!










Most shop close around 11pm plus, I took this chance to stock up on seaweeds etc. Head home afterwards.





No comments :