photo line.png

30 July, 2013

First visit to Tim Ho Wan

My first visit to Tim Ho Wan (the famous dim sum for I-don't-know-what reason).
Honestly, I've been to Hong Kong and I had never heard of it till recently the whole Singapore seems to flood that place. And I said to myself  "I must try it one day... when there's no queue".
Obviously, there's no such thing as "No Queue" and Kenny doesn't want to queue (maybe 2 hours or so?) for it. Well, not until WL called and ask if we wanna join them for THW - which he gladly agreed to it and kind of pissed me off.

We happily ordered (almost) everything out of the menu, only 4 of us mind you. We had a hard time finishing it up. The price to pay for being greedy ): Totally overestimated ourselves.


Here's my verdict about the food there.

No. 1 off the menu would be the Char Siew Bao
I did not expect that it was a "baked" Char Siew Bao, I really thought that it was a steamed bun. You know those typical type of chinese steamed bao.
It was something new, and it sort of like the (used to) famous coffee bun crust and BBQ pork inside?




I like this dish! I think it was Spring roll with egg white? Don't quote me, I might be wrong.


It wasn't the same as those normal spring rolls in the market. The white thingy most probably would be egg white and it was awesome! Crispy skin and really awesome fillings inside.


Pan fried carrot cake. I don't fancy these carrot cake, I prefered 1 for 50 cents kind. Lol


Vermicelli Roll x 3. (pig liver, char siew & prawn)
Nothing so special, it's the same as 126. Only thing that caught my eyes were the pig liver vermicelli roll, then again, I don't take pig liver.




Siew Mai. My dim sum would not be complete without siew mai. Haha! I was slightly bigger than most siew mai and I like the additional touch of (what do you call that?) the red seed on top.


Hidden in there probably was spinach dumpling (with Garlic & Mushroom), steamed pork rib, ha gao, chicken feet, beancurd skin roll with pork & shrimp,
We also did ordered glutinous rice dumpling, century egg porridge etc. I can't remember what exactly we ordered but I'm sure it was for 7-8 person. Even the family of 4 seating beside our table was looking at us, giving the "What The Hell" look.



Ended off with dessert, gui hua gao.
Tonic medlar & osmanthus cake. The gui hua taste was overwhelming and much more savory than what I had at Crystal Jade xiao long bao steamboat. But we were too full by then to appreciate it ):


Overall, I think I wasn't worth the hype consider that it was a little too overpriced for dim sum,
for the amount we paid, I assume that we could eat the whole restaurant down in Hong Kong.
Also, what I heard was that the locals doesn't even visit THW in Hong Kong (only tourists) - where's the 5 star thingy came from you tell me?!

To me, nothing is worth the hype if the local themselves do event visit the restaurant. I trust the locals as the know where to get the best dim sum at a reasonable price!

fyi, we paid a total of $150? Can't remember but somewhere that range.



No comments :